Dunelm History

Dunelm_Divider

The Dunelm Family Tree

Dunelm’s name and it’s people

Not only people, but every farm has a family tree explaining its ancestry, although offering no advice about what the future has in store. Hidden behind the bare facts are usually some good stories to be found. Dunelm is no exception.

John George Dixon obtained the farm in 1903 from the then Orange River Colony. This native of North England probably took part in the Anglo Boer War and stayed on afterwards. He named his new farm after his home town, Durham, derived from the Old Norse “dun” for hill and “holrne” for home or island, with Dunelm as a Latin variation.

Dixon must have been quite homesick, as his great- granddaughter says many of his ideas hark back to buildings of his birth-place. Evidence abound in the layout of the old sandstone mansion and the engraved corner stone of the milk shed. Yes, the milk shed has a formal corner stone dated 1908!

His dream was short-lived, because he sold in 1918. Over the next 90 years the farm had 8 owners. The De Kock’s bought the farm in 2008 and will never ever leave!

Three generations of the family Scheepers lived on the farm for 28 years from 1920. Grandpa Johannes died in the year he acquired the farm, but grandma Christina, who lived till 1934, farmed with her son Petrus, the heir. The grandparents en 2 of Petrus’ children, who died young, were laid to rest in Dunelrn’s fertile earth in beautifully preserved graves, but Petrus and the rest of his family left without leaving a trace.